Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It's All Foot Fetish and Oral Fixation: Annie, 5 1/2 months



Hoo-WEE...your momma is behind the times. But I tell you what, my tardiness in writing your five month newsletter has turned out to be a great thing because had I been on time, your update would have read something like this: "Annie lies on her back and sucks her toes all day long. The End.". But now I can report that you, my dear, are finally rolling over. Belly to back. As soon as I put you on your tummy you flip yourself right back over and start sucking on your toes. As it turns out, toe sucking is highly motivating for you. Different strokes for different folks, I say.



And no way, no how are you interested in voluntarily rolling yourself onto your belly. When I have you grab my finger so I can give you a helpful tug over, you kick your leg back behind you and lean away from my hand, stubbornly maintaining your recumbent position all the while giving me a look that says: "Nice try." I'm not sure how to motivate you to roll the other way given that there is no toe access from the prone position, but I know you'll make it over one way or another....my luck it will probably be to cram some tiny little treasure of your brother's into your mouth.

And that brings me to another of your favorite pastimes. Sucking and gnawing on anything and everything that happens into your airspace. An ear, an elbow, a nose, your fist, an errant sleeve.....they are all fair game when it comes to your mouth. This morning I came down to see you closing in on your brother's beloved blanky. He had inadvertently left it on the floor within your grippy reach and with your mouth wide, drool dripping and eyes zoned in on the prize, I snagged it out of your hands just seconds before you had the chance to sample it. Believe me, sister-girl, that is no way to fall into your brother's good graces. He is just barely beginning to tolerate your presence, a faux pas like that could just set you back a good 15 years.



You have just started sampling solid foods. You are not so crazy about cereal but quiver and shake with excitement at the mere sight of orange veggies. And peas. Right now you are sitting in your bouncy seat because you can't quite sit up straight in a high chair....and in any case, when you do sit up, your belly has delightful way of returning all the food we attempt to feed you. Poor thing. So, you eat while reclining. We should all be so lucky.
(By the by, your brother is feeding you in that picture, not poking you with a stick. Although he's been known to do that too.)




You are still a complete delight, Annabel. And I challenge anyone to show me a happier baby. You are all smiles and goos and happy screeches. Really, the only time you cry is when you are hungry and you want to eat. Now. RIGHT NOW. And believe me, love, you are preachin' to the choir on that one. When I come to get you in the morning or after naps, you lay there in your mummy wrap (oh how you so love that swaddle) grinning and laughing, your eyes closed and squinty against the light. I keep expecting to one day come into your room to find cartoony blue birds and forest animals perched on your crib smiling and basking in your sweetness. You are that happy. And I am so, so lucky.

I love you , Birdie girl. MMMMmmmmwah.

Momma


P.S. I wonder how many disappointed weirdos Google will point my way with a title like that.......




No comments: